Sunday, January 18, 2009

RIP Number 6

Patrick McGoohan (1928-2009)
A man who became famous for being repeatedly captured by a weather balloon.


I feel really sad about this. The Prisoner was indubitably one of the coolest shows ever to be on television. Surreal, hip, campy and gorgeous to look at, it was the beginning of my love affair with 1960's spy shows, none of which ever lived up to The Prisoner.

McGoohan was really old, and I guess these things just sort of happen. Still, I am saddened by the passing of Number Six, who in all 17 episodes, always furrowed his brow so magnificently, never stopped trying to escape, and finally, never gave Number Two the "information" he so lusted for.

AMC has the whole series online for our streaming pleasure. I would say that I highly recommend it, but that would be a lie. The Prisoner is mandatory viewing.

1 comment:

Neckties For Reptiles! said...

I love The Prisoner! N. 6 was incessantly intense for no reason (see, slamming fist on table and smashing saucer). May Patrick McGoohan rest in peace.